Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Time isn’t money

by Suzanne Ali 
One of the most immediate examples of cultural dissonance I’ve encountered in Italy has been with time orientation. As Dr. Caputo wrote in Dominant Cultural Patterns, “in the United States, time is viewed as a commodity” (p. 240). After arriving in Cagli I quickly realized how tightly I adhere to that cultural norm. 

There is a pace here, almost a set speed…and I am out of sync. I rush to my destination—a café in the piazza-- even when no one is waiting there for me. The Cagliese local strolls the same cobblestoned streets to the café, and stops to chat with an acquaintance along the way. 

I grow restless looking for someone to take my order in the cafe. The Cagliese relaxes and takes in the scene, socializing while he waits. The waiter gets to both of us in time. He is working hard, but at a different speed than I am accustomed to. I get antsy when the check doesn’t arrive immediately after a meal. The Cagliese glides to the bar and pays when he’s ready to leave. It all seems so inefficient, yet everything seems to get done with a certain grace. 

Time isn’t money here. It’s more the space one occupies in any given moment. I wonder if/how to import this Italian cultural norm to my Los Angeles life.

No comments:

Post a Comment