Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Reflections

by Amanda Taylor
Arrival into the airporto de Roma June 8, 2014, the journey has begun. It has been a slow integration process as the busy city is buzzing with the singes and language that show the pressure to conform to a global norm of western civilizations. After a short two-hour train ride I arrived in Florence. The Firenze Santa Maria Novella was surrounded with the recognizable 'McDonalds' and 'Subway' signs. I very seldom indulge in these chain restaurants at home, but whenever I see them in foreign countries they have a strange appeal. Why did I all of a sudden want a McChicken

Having booked a hostel 'near' the main train station in Florence I set off to find a refreshing shower and soft pillow. It was a scorching 84° and very crowded. One local train ticket and four failed bus rides later, I finally found the white canopy labeled 'Hotel Emma.' I really probably should have printed a map or drawn myself some directions. It was too late now. The hostel owner was obviously excited to point me in the direction of the main attractions of the city, but all I could think of was taking a shower and passing out.

I woke up at around 19.23 and was not satisfied with the airplane breakfast I had eight hours before. Finding a grocery store open I grabbed a mini baguette, prosciutto, provolone and much deserved white wine I went and sat in the Piazza del Duomo. The pigeons were all too eager to eat my scraps and I starred on the colorful, sun warped crowed. Tomorrow will meet my classmates and instructors in the scheduled hotel and the cultural immersion will began. But for now I was happy to fall asleep to the next episode of Orange is the New Black.

No comments:

Post a Comment