Sunday, June 15, 2014

Italians and Queues

by Candice Ward-Ferris
Dr. Caputo said that, “cultures differ in two specific ways: High versus low context cultures and individualism versus collectivism.” In low context cultures, there is an understanding of the rules, so foreigners may not always be in tune with what those are – especially if they come from high context cultures where rules are readily shared. In my situation, the known rule seemed to involve around the concept of queuing. Standing in line seems like a simple concept, and for situations where there isn’t a place to make a straight line, I have found people just follow in the order that they arrived. But, perhaps that just makes sense for people who like order.

I experienced this trying to get money out of the ATM. As one gentleman was finishing, a woman walked up and looked at me as if to say, “I was next.” Quite certain that she was not next, but not wanting to offend, I let her go before me. However, three more men lined up in random places and all looked at me with the same look. I knew I was next, but again didn’t want to be rude, so I considered going to another ATM. Then I remembered: Italians don’t queue! I decided to go for it when the woman in front of me finished and if I offended someone, then I knew. To my relief they let me go, weren’t the least bothered, and I had money to buy lunch. The next time I went up to a café counter, I applied the concept. I appreciate the idea behind forming a line, but also appreciate that it is easier in some cultures to just adopt their approach!

No comments:

Post a Comment