Saturday, June 21, 2014

A small victory.

by Amanda Taylor 
Wanting to make use of our kitchenette in the beautiful Bed and Breakfast, I headed down to the supermarket. Once there I immediately headed for the produce section. After observing many of the locals, I saw that after they bagged their selected produce they would go over to a machine that printed out a barcode sticker that they would put on to their bag. The machine was a scale that also had buttons with numbers labeled 1 – 100. All of the produce bins had signs with numbers written on the sign that showed the price. I selected two peaches (that smelled amazing) and saw that they had the number '53' written on the sign in the bin where they were held. Once at the machine I pushed the '53' button and a sticker printed out that I stuck on the bag. A small victory.

At the check-out stand, I placed all of my items on the small belt. The cashier noticed that one of the produce bags did not have the sticker on it and gave me a 'Really?' eye. It seems like even in this high context situation where signs are posted and obviously coordinated – this must be a common mistake. I imagine it is like when I worked in the world of customer service at a retail store and I came into a dressing room where people had left all of the items they didn't want on the floor. I would think, 'Really, you are going to make me do this?' It is understood (a low context situation) in the US as common courtesy that it is rude to leave a fitting room in a mess. It seems like it doesn't make one popular here to not make use of the produce sticker machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment