Monday, June 23, 2014

the Iceberg Model

by Janet Feliciano
I went with a couple friends to Acqualagna on the bus one day, and to Fano on another. Each bus out of Cagli has the schedule and the prices right there in the bus - so that took two mysteries out of the mix right away. A cultural mis-match occurred when we were approaching Fano and the police got on the bus and started making everyone show their bus tickets. I figured out we were supposed to show our tickets only because I saw that the people ahead of me were doing it!

I found my ticket just when the policeman got to my seat. There was an older woman, however, who didn’t have her ticket. She must have received a fine because she was yelling and yelling at them. I have to say this is a custom that I did not expect. I had heard about it for the train system, but not the public bus system. I was relieved that I hadn’t used the little ticket to wrap my gum and throw in the garbage! I would say this situation could fall below the water on the Iceburg Model of Culture. It speaks to the beliefs and values of a collective society where everyone is treated equally. The police made no exception for the old lady. Even though she argued with them, they gave her a ticket just as easily as they would have given one to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment