Saturday, July 12, 2014

Take Your Time

by Stephen Miller
Life is Italy seems to move at a leisurely pace. Time is a very different commodity in Italy than in the United States. While a breakfast, lunch, dinner, or coffee break in the U.S. is immediately met with a bold white bill, meals in Cagli are social engagements that can last for hours without seeing the check. This is much different than the pay-as-you-go, rushed mentality of the United States. I have fondly grown accustomed to this leisurely cultural norm. I have experienced this cultural mismatch many times during my time in Italy. As a general rule of thumb, I believe this difference occurs because the Cagliesi view people being typically good-natured. This is different to the American perspective I see regularly protecting oneself against the corruption of others. The cultural mismatch in public perception leads to the differences in restaurant practice and leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment