Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Just a Shave and a Haircut

by Matt Clark 
Over the free weekend, I had a need for a haircut but I was a little reluctant about what to do. After pacing to and fro, I decided to walk to a nearby barber and try my luck.

Needless to say, he spoke no English and my Italian remains less than stellar.

But, I was thinking there was an assumed similarity with barbers and using non-verbal communication would be the best way to explain just what I wanted.

Now, in Italy the popular hair style among younger people is the mohawk but that was the last thing I wanted done with my hair.

To break the tension of trying to figure out a haircut, I asked for a shave first. Simple enough right? Actually, yes. I didn’t require anything special just my face shaved, so there was little need for communication.

It was after that when things got interesting.

So Mario and I exchanged several different hand and arm gestures in an attempt to get on the same page regarding my haircut.

After a few minutes, we got it figured out and Mario went to work.

I went into the barber shop not realizing assumed similarities, language and non-verbal communication could be stumbling blocks to getting something as simple as a haircut and shave.

But, we were able to get past the initial cultural dissonance and my haircut and shave turned out better than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment