Wednesday, July 9, 2014

“Buongiorno”

by Stephen Miller 
Walking down the narrow cobble streets of Cagli is a calming journey. The apartments soar high above with locals occasionally poking their head out between the wooden shutters. In addition, local men and women or varying ages trot up and down the street on a regular basis.

In my attempt to be polite and
friendly I try to greet many of them with a “buongiorno” or “ciao.” In my attempt to fit into Italian culture, many times their response (if there was one) seemed very disinterested. In attempt to reverse this regular occurrence, I chose to save my “buongiornos” and “ciaos” for Cagliesi who wanted acknowledgment. This seemed to be working well until one day I missed an older gentleman say “buongiorno” to me. In the midst of my own conversation I didn’t hear the welcoming directed my way. This outraged the man. A few steps away I heard the loudest “buongiorno” I will probably ever hear. I quickly realized the miscommunication that had occurred and swong around to greet the demanding gentleman with a smile and hello. As I continued up the street I could make out the unflattering Italian words that were clearly directed my way. I felt out of place and apologetic. The next time I think I am being welcomed I wont hesitate for even a minute before responding.

This got me reflecting about the differences in the American and Italian culture. In the states, it would seem many times impolite to not greet a passerby, even if the greeting isn’t genuine. This just isn’t as expected and valued in Cagli. A greeting should always be genuine, in right timing, and respectful of the individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment