Saturday, July 12, 2014

Sit With Me, Please

by Shelley Hepler 
Learning about piazza etiquette has been fun and interesting. The greetings exchanged, how to order a gelato, when to pay, and where to sit, are all new and different from my way of interacting at home. At home when I see friends out and about they often ask me to stop and chat over a cup of coffee or a drink. Everyone understands if you're one your way and can't stay for a visit.

However, I learned that I may have been rude on more than one occasion while passing through the piazza. One dear man, seated in one of the chairs along the wall, motioned to me to come sit with him. I smiled, shook my head, and pointed to my wrist. "Buon giorno!" I waived. Oh, how his face fell as he gestured with both hands with what looked like he was trying to say he couldn't understand what I was doing.

Later, two other men were drinking wine and visiting. One spoke to me in English and the other wanted to me to sit with them and sip a glad. I explained that I was rushing off to meet my friend. They looked at one another, shook their heads, and made the same gesture the man had earlier that day. "Cozzo," I heard. Hmmmmm? What's that? How rude did they think I was? I'm not sure! However, their hands, faces, and quiet swearing said a lot more than their words could have.

I think they'd probably tell me, "Slow down, American lady, slow down!"​

No comments:

Post a Comment