Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pausa

by AJ Davila
I’ve had a very interesting experience here in Cagli, Italy. Coming into this new culture with an open-mindset, I’ve still had to make adjustments on how my daily routines would go. One in particular adjustment that I’ve had to make is how my daily meal consumptions would play throughout my day.

I’m used to being able to grab a meal whenever I can or when it’s convenient back home. In the United States, you can grab breakfast 24-hours a day if you want at a local Denny’s or Shari’s. In Cagli, breakfast is an espresso or cappuccino with some form of pastry or bread, and that’s it for the most part. Then, lunch doesn’t seem to be a very big deal here as majority of the shops and cafés are closed during lunch time for pausa. Who closes for lunch?

I would literally scramble around trying to find a place to eat for lunch beings that I don’t get to eat a big breakfast, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day – or so they tell us I in America. Given that I’ve never had an actual breakfast since I’ve been to Italy, I’ve had a hard time adjusting to the eating schedule here. In order to compensate for a different eating schedule, I found myself buying small meals at the local supermarket in case I miss an opportunity to have a meal at a local café during Cagli hours of operation.

It would take me longer than a couple weeks to accustom myself to the fact that 98% of the shops and café’s close for a 3 hour period in the middle of the day. It’s almost as if the town goes on a mini-holiday for a few hours, and if you need something, well, you have to wait till later in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment